TOP 10 BEST DRONES FOR BEGINNERS
Drones are becoming increasingly popular, but with this boom, there are many options to choose from. The sheer variety of options can be overwhelming for people who are new to flying camera drones. If you are looking to get into the drone craze, we have put together a list of 10 Best Drones for Beginners that offer great value and will inspire you to take flight!
If you are a newbie to the world of drones and wondering about the best drone for beginners, that is affordable and good for practicing drone flying skills, you are in the right place. But before we dig into the shorted list of the best drones for beginners, I would recommend you take a look at this “Beginner’s Guide to Drones” that will give you basic understanding of different parts of the drone, FAA’s Drone Rules and Regulations, and a few practicing techniques.
1. RYZE TELLO
The Ryze Tello is an excellent option for beginners who are looking for an easy way to dip their toes into the world of drones and aerial photography. This drone has all of the features you’d expect from a modern drone, including a smartphone controller via Tello App, flight stabilization, 13 minutes battery life, and an HD camera capable of recording a 720p video at 30 fps.
It is super light weighing a paltry 79g with a flight range of 100 m. It also comes with a Bluetooth controller besides the Tello App phone control. However, note that it lacks local storage, and you will have to get your footage and photos through your phone, and if the Wi-Fi signal is wanting, you will have choppy footage. But if you are on a budget, this is a perfect drone for you.
- Simple to maneuver
- Configurable through Scratch.
- Compatible with Bluetooth remote control
- Has automated flight modes
- No return-to-home option/ No GPS
- Poor quality video
- Limited range control
2. SIMREX X300C
Don’t let its miniature size deceive you; the Simrex X300C is a miniature drone that’s designed to be the best in its class. It packs excellent features at a price that won’t break the bank. The foldable drone is ready to fly out of the box and is easy to control. It is equipped with a 0.9 MP camera and a 750mAh battery and has a 30m range. Both the drone and its controller weigh light, with the Simrex X300C weighing only 45 g which is convenient for portability. It can be flown using an easy-to-use controller and through the phone App. Its compact size means you can maneuver it easily into tight spaces.
Its flight time of eight minutes isn’t the best drone flight time, but you can get extra batteries if you want to extend the fun.
- Feature-packed at a budget-friendly price
- Can be flown using the phone via App
- Comes with an extra pair of propellers
- Easy to use
- Has controlled descent feature that safeguards it from damage
- Takes decent photos
- Dismal battery life
- Takes a long time to charge the battery
- Battery prone to damage if exposed to moisture as it lacks water resistance capability
- The battery can only be charged with the original charger
3. Holy Stone HS110D
The Holy Stone HS110D is ranked as one of the best drones for users on a budget and willing to forego a few features. It is an amazing little drone for beginners and one that will grow with you as you learn more about the industry. Its built-in battery offers 10 minutes of flight time and a range of 328 ft.
The Holy Stone HS110D drone comes with 2 batteries and it is only under $50.
- Easy to use
- It is highly responsive
- It comes with 2 batteries
- 3D flips capable
- Voice and Gesture control
- Stable during flight
- Compact and portable
- 1080P Camera
- Low battery life
- Charging time: 120 mins
4. DJI MINI 2
The Dji Mini 2 is a compact but powerful drone that you can use to shoot photos or videos. It comes with many essential head-turning features such as a high capacity 5200mAh battery, a 12 megapixels camera, and an impressive range of 10 km. It is shipped with a controller and works with IOS/ android smartphones using the DJI Fly app.
- High quality 4K camera capable of zooming
- Has Occusync 2.0 for seamless video transmission
- Ultra Quiet motors
- Supports Raw image capture
- No avoidance sensors
- Quality of panoramas is wanting
- Doesn’t support MOV files
- Jerky gimbal especially when facing downwards directly.
5. PARROT BEBOP 2
The Parrot Bebop 2 is a great budget drone for beginners. It has many of the same features as the DJI Spark, which is a great drone for more advanced users. The Bebop 2 has a 14-megapixel camera with a fisheye lens, FHD 1080p camera, an impeccable rear flash LED for enhanced visibility, and robust motors. The battery takes one hour to recharge, and it has a flight time of roughly 25 minutes. You can use your smartphone to control it via the FreeFlight Pro app, or at an extra cost, you can grab the flight controller.
- Good battery life
- Impressive and stable flight performance
- Ultra Lightweight
- Glitchy video over long distances
- Lens flare
- Unresponsive control stick
6. DJI AIR 2S
The DJI Air 2S is the company’s top-of-the-line drone, and it’s the first to feature its OcuSync 3.0 an innovative way to transmit video seamlessly. It lets you transmit video to your smartphone at a much farther distance and at a higher resolution than before. It features a 4k camera, 20 megapixels still camera, a 3500mAh battery that delivers 31 minutes of flight time, and a max range of 18.5km.
The Air 2S is a solid drone with almost all the features you need, and it’s easy to use for even a beginner.
- High quality 5.4K camera
- Has 1-inch sensor camera
- Excellent safety features
- Long flight time
- Can take camera shots automatically
- Does identify obstacles and prevent collision
- Lacks in-built camera filtered looks
- No control wheel on remote
- Only 1080p has app-based editing
- Does Not support Raw images Automatic transfer to smartphones or tablets
- Limited internal storage of just 8GB
7. HOLY STONE HS110G
The Holy Stone HS110G is a perfect drone to help you get started with flying. It has a headless mode so that you can control the drone no matter which direction the drone is facing. With return home functionality, the drone will return home when the battery is low or the signal is weak, making it impossible to lose it. The HS110G comes with a 2K HD camera with 120 degrees FOV lens for clearer footage. Its battery gives 26 minutes of usage. It comes with 2 batteries. It comes with a remote control.
- Has an accurate GPS system with Return to home feature.
- Comes with an HD camera for high-quality footage
- Comes with 2 batteries
- It is equipped with a 1080 flight range and 120m max altitude
- Easy to use controls
- No screen on the remote, you need to use your phone
8. PONTENSIC T25
The Pontensic T25 is one of the best drones for beginners that will give you a lot of bang for your buck. It packs all the features you need to learn how to fly into an easy-to-use package. The drone features a 720p camera with a 120-degree wide-angle lens, a 1000mAh battery, and protection guards. But what sets this drone apart from its compatriots is the GPS functionality coupled with the return home feature.
- High-grade onboard camera delivering quality videos and pictures.
- Highly stable thanks to 9 axis gyro
- Perfect for users of all levels
- Impressive 980 feet range and 393 feet maximum flying altitude
- Poor performance in strong winds
- Poor battery life
- Lacks obstacle avoidance sensors
9. DJI FPV COMBO
DJI is the leader in consumer drone technology. They have made a name for themselves by producing high-quality, easy-to-use drones. Their DJI FPV combo is a great entry-level drone because it provides the full FPV experience for a relatively low price. It combines speed, flexibility, and DJI’s signature advanced photography range to give you a fantastic experience. The Dji spots a 4k camera that offers high-quality videos, 12MP still camera, a 4K video camera that records at 60fps, a 20 minutes battery, and an impeccable range of 10 km. The drome also features a myriad of safety features like Emergency Brake, Hover, and return to home, among others.
- It comes ready to fly out of the box
- Controller and FPV goggles are included in the package
- Does Not require a smartphone for flight
- Has Android and iOS apps for find my drone and updating drone firmware
- Has a 4K camera which comes with a gimbal and electronic stabilization
- It has safety features including GPS and obstacle detection system
- It is highly-priced
- Requires a spotter
- Lacks HDR and obstacle avoidance
- Poor 2× zoom
10. SIMREX X20
The X20 drone from Simrex is one of the best drones on the market for under $300. It comes with a 2-axis Self-stabilizing Gimbal, 3000mAh battery, and a 4K HD camera delivering crisp, clear footage, headless mode, GPS with an auto-return feature. It’s got a flying time of 30 minutes and comes with a charging time of 100 minutes. Other features like trajectory flight and altitude hold mode make it an excellent budget drone for beginners.
- High capacity battery with an extended flight time
- Versatile with two-speed modes
- Aesthetically pleasing design
- Equipped with GPS with a return to home feature limiting the loss of the drone
- Highly durable
- Remote controller that has a phone holder to reduce interference during flight
- Has 2 axis gimbals
- The camera isn’t 4K as indicated
- Lacks propeller guards
Choosing a drone for beginners is a little bit challenging because there are so many drones available on the market. Different factors, such as the size of your budget, the size of the area you want to cover, and the type of usage may shape your decision and guide you on what kind of drone you need to buy.